[IMPLEMENTED] Layer Properties

Hey all, great stuff so far. I’m really enjoying using this, but there’s one thing that keeps me from being willing to deploy Scene Manager in production - the ability to track layer properties like shown below.

Being able to track at least the following layer properties would be vital to my use:

• Visible to Camera
  • Cast Shadows
  • Receive Shadows, etc

Perhaps the idea could be expanded further as well.

Hey Jfin,

Thank you for the suggestion, there is a chance that we will extend our Layer properties with a few more props, but unfortunately we already locked down the upcoming versions feature list so we won’t have time to implement something like this. But we will certainly add it to our list and get back to it.

Is this something that you use all day on all projects ?

In the upcoming 1.5.x version we have a script editor card where you can write your own maxscript functions, so in theory everything that we don’t support can be added with some scripting, so maybe it can work for you as a temporary workaround. If you need some help we are happy to provide some template snippets to control these properties.

If you are interested please contact us at support@pulze.io.

Regards,

Peter

Hey Peter, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I utilize those settings on every project, every day. Currently use Scene States to record those changes, but the obvious problem with that is those settings are buried in a menu somewhere and are easily forgotten.

I’ve always wanted a scene manager and pictured it to be exactly what you all have built here. I’ve only had a few hours to mess around with it, but as of right now I feel like the Layer Properties tracking is the only thing I’m really missing here. You guys did a great job!

I would absolutely love it if you could implement this idea in the future!! :slight_smile:

Hi Jfin,

Your request regarding the layer properties have been implemented in the latest version of the Scene Manager. If you haven’t seen it already please head over to pulze.io/account and give it a try.

Peter

1 Like

Finally getting the chance to test this feature in production and you guys nailed it. Thanks @peter.sarhidai !!

1 Like

Could you share how you got the attributes to actually change? When I go to turn off shadows or visibility the objects in the layer aren’t affected.

Make sure your objects are set to respect the layer properties? That’s likely the issue. You’re setting the layer properties, but the objects are set to respect only their individual object properties, not the layer properties.

How would I have the objects respect layer properties specifically? Im used to mayas render layers and I am still learning 3ds MAX.