Can't fetch the HDRI (fstorm)

I’m trying to do a very simple thing but it just doesn’t function. Which is very frustrating because for one, I purchased a license and two I spend already more than an hour trying to get it to work.

I just want to be able to fetch a HDRI map into the HDRI slot. That very often doesn’t work! And while I get that this might be hard to make it function properly I really don’t get why there isn’t a button that can search for a map in the Material editor. If such a button would be added I could just pick the map that I want and have the correct rotation and height of the HDRI map. It’s really as simple as that.

I posted about this before and I got an answer saying the UI should stay clean so adding to much stuff is not an option. Sorry but are not making an iPhone and you are not Apple, I don’t care about the looks, just make it function. If this doesn’t get fixed I can’t use the plugin and I have wasted many hours learning it and trying to get it to work, so please make this work!

Best,
Joep

Also, fetching the name of the material instead of the HDRI file name would be nice. That way I can tell them apart, very handy!

Dear Joep,

Thank you very much for contacting us again.
First of all please let me share the information that we will release the new version in weeks and in this one the whole HDRI system will be much simpler and user friendly in alignment with your needs. So thank you in advance for your patience.
On the other hand you mentioned that it “very often doesn’t work”. Does it mean that there are cases when it is working properly? If so is there any difference between the files when it is working and when it is not? We gladly examine your file just please contact us directly at suppoert@pulze.io.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Attila

Hello Attila,

That’s very nice to hear, I’ll be waiting for the next version. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it works fetching the HDRI but I can’t really say why it fitfully works or not. I think the whole HDRI system looks nice but doens’t really alight with how you use max, which is through the material editor. Fortunately this is about to change.

So I can’t send you the scene, I’ve put in too much time as it is already, I’ll just wait for the update.

Some other things you might want to consider in the next version:

• adding a height parameter for HDRI’s
  • adding the map name instead of the file name
  • using the same value’s for rotations as in Max, so for Fstorm a value of 0 - 1 for rotation instead of 0 - 360 degrees.

Just a few suggestions.

Regards,
Joep

Hello Joep,

Great, these are exactly those changes that were implemented. Stay tuned!

Attila

1 Like

I just wanted to add that when using a custom map in the environment slot, the hdri doesn`t load when switching between cameras. Really annoying when doing a batch render…

Hello Mattias,

May I ask you which version are you using? In 1.6.0 this issue is already fixed.

Thank you in advance for your answer!

I`m using 1.6.0. I think it happens when having my rendersettings window and switching cameras in pulze.

Hi Mattias,

in this case it seems to be a similar issue like in this conversation: Outputsize bug doesnt change resolution

So hopefully not the custom map causes the problem then the bug which appears when you click through too quickly between the setups.

We will release the new version shortly and it will be resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

Attila