FStorm Feature Support

Render Manager:

Can we please be allowed to change Light Samples when editing a job to anything higher than 3000. This has bitten me in the ass a few times after submitting 12 jobs on a tight deadline and having to re-submit them all again. I use render manager to manage my still renders also and we need to up 40 000 samples on some interiors.

Can we also get to choose which GPU’s on the current machine is taking part in the render, there seems to be no control over whether all GPU’s are rendering or not. At the moment I’m rendering a job of which only one GPU is active and there is no way I can control it. It would be great if we can set GPU use per job when editing it in Render Manager, at least for the local machine.

Scene Manager:

Can we have control over the Alpha Environment much the same way we have over the Environment slot and settings. Often with exterior multi-cam set-ups we have to change the Alpha background manually, load a different map and set the power.

It would be great if there was a way to select a saved preset and make changes to / update it WITHOUT it engaging the scene when selected.

Thanks!

Hi, is there any way to determine which GPUs will render on a computer with multiple GPUs? It is not by defining it in Max when submitting to render. Please this is urgent.

Hi @riaan.vanjaarsveldt

Thanks for the detailed explanations!

Can we please be allowed to change Light Samples when editing a job to anything higher than 3000. This has bitten me in the ass a few times after submitting 12 jobs on a tight deadline and having to re-submit them all again. I use render manager to manage my still renders also and we need to up 40 000 samples on some interiors.

Yeah I just checked and I can confirm it is a bug. I’ll add it to our todo list and will fix it soon.

Can we also get to choose which GPU’s on the current machine is taking part in the render, there seems to be no control over whether all GPU’s are rendering or not. At the moment I’m rendering a job of which only one GPU is active and there is no way I can control it. It would be great if we can set GPU use per job when editing it in Render Manager, at least for the local machine.

To my best knowledge this is not possible, because the GPU Manager render properties are not exposed to maxscript and because of that it is not possible to control it.

Can we have control over the Alpha Environment much the same way we have over the Environment slot and settings. Often with exterior multi-cam set-ups we have to change the Alpha background manually, load a different map and set the power.

At the moment the only way to control this is with the Render Settings - Override module. In the next major release we will have a more granular and even easier control for most of the render settings.

It would be great if there was a way to select a saved preset and make changes to / update it WITHOUT it engaging the scene when selected.

Yes, this is possible. You need to select the scene using ALT + Left Mouse Button click. This way the settings will be shown and you can change everything but it won’t affect 3ds Max.

Hi Peter,

thanks for your response!

With regards to GPU selection, I’m pretty sure in previous releases, when Render Manager was rendering, the Max Render Setup was also opened together with a Render Window where I could add the other GPUs via the tick box selection. Can you confirm that and/or would that be possible again?

Thanks again.

From our end nothing has changed in terms of how we execute the rendering with 3ds Max. I don’t have access to FStorm at the moment, but I’ll look into it next week.