When using the Common Render Output with multichannel files, such as .exr or .cxr (corona exr) 3ds Max will save your multichannel file to the desired location, plus it will save out all the render elements.
This is a known issue of 3ds Max especially in case of cxr files where there are no configuration properties to customize the render element settings. If you are a V-Ray user we highly recommend using the V-Ray Raw Output option. In case of Corona there are several forum topics regarding this issue:
If you would like to have a consistent end result you have to update the EXR save settings in each and every PC at ones. To do that please follow these steps:
- In front of a workstation please open Max and at the render settings/common tab/render output choose the exr and hit “Setup…”.
- In the pop up EXR settings window setup the way how you would like to save EXR and hit OK
- After that please go to this folder: “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2021 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg” (Keep in mind the relevant max folder)
- Over here copy the “fOpenEXR.cfg” file.
- Paste this file to each and every Node to the same location: “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2021 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg”
We will fix this issue in the next version for sure. Thank you for your understanding.